Friday, July 3, 2009

Shame on You

First I must disclose that I have permission to write this post.

Recently a friend of mine who started coming out as transitioning from female to male told his mother about it.

The mother's first reaction: "I don't want to know anything about it." & "I don't care what you say, you'll always be my daughter." These reactions aren't too surprising and I think are probably quite popular, unfortunately.

A few weeks later the discussion is continued. This time the mother declared that it is "socially acceptable" to be a lesbian, but not to transition. She illustrated her point by stating something like "I mean, I would like to do heroin, but I don't - I drink because it's the socially acceptable thing to do."

This is one of the most screwed up things I've ever heard.

I'm grateful that I know no matter who my children are, I will love them and accept them. I'm also grateful that's not my mother. She should be ashamed.

4 comments:

Amber

Seconded - that IS one of the most screwed up things ever.

My partner who is also FtM will be coming out to his mother soon. I sincerely hope that she will not react anything like that. *fingers crossed*

Panthera Pardus

This has to be amazingly hard for your friend...please pass on my good thoughts to him.

His mother still believes it to be a choice, not something born within, and therein lies the problem. Maybe with time (and maybe some research) it will be easier for her to understand.

BB

If I only did what was "socially acceptable," I wouldn't do much more than eat, sleep, shit, bathe, read, and stare at the ceiling.

I would also like to point out, to parents everywhere, that children do not need society's acceptance, they need YOUR acceptance. You are what matters, not some stranger on the street.

xrayintroductions

that is ALL kinds of fucked up.

Blogger template 'Purple Mania' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP